Koftas needs no introduction. These are fried balls either vegetarian or nonvegetarian dunked in a creamy spiced gravy. We Indians prepare a variety of koftas with different vegetables so today is raw banana kofta. It is a deep-fried boiled raw banana accompanied by some spices dunked in a spiced tomato or onion gravy.
Raw Banana Kofta or Plantain Kofta |
For The Koftas
- 4 Raw banana
- 1 Small Onion
- Turmeric powder
- Red chilli powder
- Dhaniya powder
- Roasted chickpea flour
- Garam masala powder
- Dry fenugreek leaves
For the gravy
- Ginger-garlic paste
- Grated coconut
- Garam masala powder
- Kasuri methi
- Haldi dhaniya or mirchi powder
For the Kofta
- Boil the bananas in a pan or pressure don’t peel them, boil the bananas along with the peels so that the koftas don’t become mushy once the bananas are boiled ,let them cool for a while then peel them .
- Take a large bowl, add the peeled and mashed bananas, add salt ,garam masala powder ,finely chopped onion ,turmeric for colour,coriander powder, dry fenugreek leaves.,1tbsp roasted chickpea four mix all of them together to form a dough ,some cilantro,finely chopped green chillies.
- Mix everything together to form a dough start making koftas make lime sized round koftas/balls out of this mixture
- Heat a generous amount of oil in a pan make sure oil is properly hot otherwise koftas can stick to the pan or also absorb the oil fry until they become golden brown .
- If you don't want to deep fry them then use a appe pan, add oil to each cavity, gently drop the koftas in every cavity and cook until they become golden brown from both sides
- Keep an eye on the pan or else the koftas may catch the bottom. You have to gently toss the koftas to cook them from all sides .
MAKE THE GRAVY
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a kadai or pan add finely chopped 1 large onion,1 large tomatoes, 1 bay leaf,2-3 cloves ,¼ tsp cumin seeds,¼ tsp black pepper corn,3-4 garlic cloves ,1 small stick of cinnamon,1 green cardamom ,½ black cardamom,1 small mace,¼ tsp of desiccated coconut, then saute them for few min don’t over cook them just saute them for few min.
- Let them cool for a while discard the bay leaf then add them in a blender make sure the mixture is cooled or else it might blow off from the blender .grind them into a smooth paste
- Take the same pan once heated, add 1 tsp oil then add ½ tsp kasuri methi don’t burn just saute it for a few sec.
- .Add the pureed gravy along with ¼ tsp of turmeric powder,¼ tsp of red chilli powder,½ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder salt as per your taste and fry until oil separates from the pan
- Add 1 cup water cook till it boils and the gravy became little thick
- While serving place the koftas in the serving dish and then pour the hot gravy garnish with some fresh coriander leaves enjoy it with hot nan,roti or rice