This is a traditional curry prepared specially during auspicious days like chhath puja, Deepawali, or on Vijayadashami the main ingredient of this curry is eggplant, and urad wadi easily available in any Indian store. as i am from north India i prepare the recipe very often whenever i don’t want to eat potatoes ,for this recipe you need two eggplant ,5-10 urad wadi ,2 tomatoes ,2-4 green chillies ,½ tsp cumin seeds ,⅙ tsp cumin seeds ,⅙ black pepper corn,⅛ tsp mustard seeds,1-2 cloves,half black cardamom,1 small cinnamon,1 small mace ,grounded in a fine paste heat oil in a kadhai fry the wadis till they turn brown soak them in warm water now in the same kadhai heat 1 tbsp mustard oil add ½ tsp panchforn ,hing , let them crackle,now add the chopped brinjal saute till they became soft remove them from the kadhai now in the same kadhai add chopped green chilli ,panchforon,bay leaf hing chopped capsicum and tomatoes saute till they became soft now add all the masala saute till oil separates from the pan now add the fried eggplant and wadi add 1-2 cup of water stir then cover with a lid cook until the wadis became soft cook for about 10-15 min.this is a semi thick curry finally add dried fenugreek and off the flame.
Urad Wadi Eggplant Curry
- 2 mid. Eggplant
- 1 small Capsicum
- 2 tomatoes
- 2-4 green-chili
- 5-6 urad wadi (if using store bought small sized then use ¼ cup)
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1 tsp Panchforan(cumin,fennel,mustard,carom-nigella seeds)
- 1-2 Red Chilli
- ¼ tsp Garam masala paste(½balck cardamom,2 cloves,1small stick cinnamon,1small mace,1 green cardamom)
- ⅙ tsp Cumin seeds
- ⅙ tsp Black peppercorn
- ½ tsp Dried kasuri methi
- 1 tsp Fresh coriander leaves
- Firstly Wash and remove the stem of eggplants then chop them in any style you prefer.
- Heat 1 tsp mustard oil in a pan/kadai fry the wadis until they became brown from both the sides .
- Meanwhile in a pan heat 1 cup water add the fries wadis along with some salt.
- In the same pan add 1 tbsp oil add the chopped eggplants fry till the eggplants became soft.
- After 5-8 min. or when the eggplants were completely fried remove it from the pan .
- Add 1 tsp mustard oil 1tsp panchforan,asafoetida(hing),1bay leaf,1 red chilli let them crackel
- Add finely chopped capsicum saute for a few min. then add chopped tomatoes saute till they turn soft now add all the spices (garam masala , cumin seed ,black peppercorn, mustard seeds),red chilli powder, turmeric powder,coriander powder.
- Saute all the ingredients till oil separates from the pan now add the fried eggplants saute for couple of mins. then add 2 cups water stir and cook on low flame .add the seasoning
- The curry consistency is semi -thick if needed then add more water lastly add the dried fenugreek leaves and remove it from the flame