Baingan kalonji/eggplant curry or stuffed baby eggplant curry is a Banarasi recipe and the recipe is totally different from my recipe I use black mustard, few cloves of garlic ¼ tsp of cumin seeds,¼ tsp of black peppercorn along with the basic spice grind them all then heat a pan to shallow fry the eggplants then fry the spice paste in the same pan where the eggplants were fried saute the spices until oil separates from the pan then add the eggplants and 1 cup water cook until it shimmers or get the desired consistency then add the eggplants and cook for few mins then add garam masala powder and remove it from the flame.
Baingan Kalonji/eggplant curry
- 500 gm Baingan/Eggplant
- 1 tbsp Black mustard seeds
- 1 Bayleaf
- 1/4 tsp Hing(asafoetida)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 6 tbsp Mustard oil
- Start with washing the eggplant /aubergine and then slit the eggplant in criss-cross manner leaving the stem
- Heat a pan or kadai add 5 tbsp mustard oil in the kadai then add ½ tsp of mustard seeds wait till the seeds crackle then add the eggplant, a pinch of salt and turmeric powder and fry until the eggplant became soft handle the eggplants very carefully otherwise they may break.
- In a grinder or mortar pestle add 2tbsp of black mustard seeds 7 garlic cloves 1 tsp cumin seeds ,1 tsp peppercorn water then grind them in a fine paste
- Remove the eggplants from the heat and keep it aside
- In the same Kadai add 1 tbsp oil ½ tsp mustard seeds , 1 bay leaf and a pinch of Hing(asafoetida) let them crackle
- Add the grounded masala alongwith 1/2 tsp turmeric powder,1/2 tsp red Chilli powder and 1/2 tsp coriander powder and the seasoning as required fry until oil separates from the Kadai
- Add 1/2 glass water and give it boil and check the consistency add more water if required .
- Add the eggplants and give it boil switch of the flame and then add lemon juice now mix the lemon juice well in the curry.