For vegetarians, dal/lentils are the major sources of protein. and in my family everyone loves dal in any form either a plain dal or a tadka so my today’s recipe is dhaba style tadka dal as the name it’s basically the tempering (in hindi tempering is known as tadka) so every dal/lentil have a different tempering so to make this dhaba -style dal tadka you need chana dal(split black gram) 250 gm ,finely chopped onion,finely chopped tomatoes ,finely chopped green chilli,1 clove garlic crushed or chopped heat oil in a pressure cooker temper it with cumin seeds,asafoetida,bay leaf,dry fenugreek leaves ,let them crackle then add finely chopped onion, fry until it became translucent then add tomatoes and fry until it became soft add salt as per your taste add the paste of cumin seeds,black peppercorn,ginger 1 inch,garlic 1-2 cloves ,green cardamom,black cardamom, cinnamon,a small portion of nutmeg,a small mace fry until oil separates now add soaked lentils just stir once and then add 2 cup of water let it cook for 4-5 whistle when pressure released mix with ladle then add 1 tbsp ghee or butter then serve hot w ith roti or rice.
- pressure cooker
- 1 cup cup chana dal/toor dal
- 2-3 tomatoes finely chopped
- 2-3 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp blackpeppercorn
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste or (4-5 garlic cloves and ½ inch ginger)
- 1 tbsp oil of your choice
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1-2 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida(Hing)
- 2 green chili finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves(kasuri methi)
- Soak 1 cup chana dal (or Toor dal for 4-5 hrs ) it slows down the cooking process.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker now add the tempering (cumin seeds,asafoetida,bay leaf,dried fenugreek and finely chopped green chillies .stir fry for a min .be careful as the green chilly splutters
- Add finely chopped onion saute till they turn translucent and add finely chopped tomatoes saute until tomatoes turn soft
- In a grinder /mortar pestle take all the spices (cumin seeds,blackpeppercorn,5-6 garlic cloves,½ inch ginger) grind to a fine paste
- Add all the ground spices and saute till oil separates from the cooker now add the soaked lentil(chana dal) and the seasonning.
- Cook for 4-5 whistles after pressure released from the cooker use a wire whisk or ladle to mash the dal for a creamy smooth texture .
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a ladle remove it from flame add ¼ tsp of kashmiri red chilli/ red chilli powder now add in the dal it gives the authentic dhaba look to the Tadka dal