When it comes to any festival Dahi vada is a must-have recipe a perfect snack that fills your tummy and soul too so for those who don’t know what is Dahi vada. It is a type of chaat originated from the Indian subcontinent so vada is prepared by using black gram lentil batter deep fried then soaked in curd /yogurt topped with sweet tamarind chutney, green chutney, and spices.
- 1 cup Black lentil
- 2 cup Oil for frying
- 1 cup Thick curd (yogurt)
- 1 tsp Asafoetida(hing)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1-2 pcs. Dry red Chili
- ½ tsp Black pepper corn
- 1 tsp Chat masala
- ½ tsp Black salt
- 1 tsp Salt(as per taste)
- For Vada
- Firstly Soak Black lentil(urad dal) for 4-5 hrs.
- Drain the water from the soaked urad dal pulse for few sec.to break down the lentil then open the lid and scrap the sides add 1-2 tbsp water if needed then grind it into a thick smooth paste.
- Transfer the batter to a large bowl add coarsely grounded black peppercorn 1tsp asafoetida(Hing),1 tsp raisins you may skip raisins but it gives a zing to the Vadas .
- Add salt as per your taste and then with the help of wh wired whisk or a spoon whisk well .
- Heat oil in pan or kadhai oil should be in generous amount because vada should be completely immersed in the oil while frying .
- To check the temperature of the oil add small drop of batter in oil if the batter puffed easily then the oil is enough hot to fry the vadas
- Either by using your hand or a spoon gently drop the batter in the hot oil .
- let it sit for a minute in the oil then flip or stir it in oil and fry until golden or crisp from both the sides .
- Meanwhile in a large bowl add 2 cups of warm water soak all the fried vadas in the water and let them sit there for 5-7 min.
- After 5-7 min.remove all the Vadas from the water before serving gently press the vada or else the Vadas may crack .
- In another bowl add black Salt ,Salt and curd whisk all of them well check the seasoning as per your taste.
- Now in a serving bowl arrange all the drained Vadas cover the Vadas with the beaten curd completely.
- Add green cchutney ,tamrind chutney,and sprinkle chatt masala and the rosted masala powder keep it in refrigerator for 2-3 hrs.before serving
Dahi vada Masala
- Heat a pan add 1tsp cumin seed,½tsp black peppercorn,1-2 dry red chilli dry roast all of them and by using a moratal pestl or a grinder grind them in a fine powder