Nothing really comes close to deep-fried food for the evening snacking so a few days back I had a packet of white bread that was left in the fridge untouched for more than 2-3 days. so use them in croquettes.
For the croquettes, you need 10-12 bread slices,50 gm cottage cheese you may use any cheese or even skip it’s optional, 1/2 cup chopped carrots,1/2 cup capsicum,1/2 cup onion, and 4-5 garlic cloves, finely chopped them and then saute for a while add 1/8 tsp mixed herb, paprika or red chili, black pepper powder, coarsely grounded cashews or raisins and mix them completely to form a dough-like texture keep it in the refrigerator for 2-3 hrs. now make a batter using water and all-purpose flour coat all the croquettes in the batter then roll them in bread crumbs and deep-fry and serve warm with a cup of coffee or tea whatever you prefer.
- 10-12 Bread slices
- 50 gm Cottage Cheese(paneer)
- 1 tbsp Cashews-Raisins
- 1 tsp Mixed herbs
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli/Paprika
- 12 cup Carrot Shraded
- 4 mdm. Boiled Potatoes peeled and mashed
- 1/2 cup Capsicum
- Salt as per your taste
- 1 tbsp corn-flour
- 1 tbsp All purpose flour
- ¼ tsp Mixed Herb
- Oil for Frying
- Firstly heat 1tsp oil add finely chopped garlic ,shredded carrots,finely chopped capsicum,finely chopped onion saute for a couple of min. you can add any vegetable of your choice .
- Add 1tsp black pepper powder,salt,red chili powder ,paprika and mixed herbs
- Mix everything well let it cook for another 30-40 sec. and then switch off the flame and keep them aside
- Take a large mixing bowl add the grated boiled potatoes,grated cottage cheese(you may skip cheese )
- Trim the sides of the bread slices then add it in the bowl now add all the sauted vegeies alongwith some seasoning now mix them until it becomes dough like consistency .
- The mixture might be little sticky to work with so refrigerate it for 20-25 min.
- After 25 mins.take out the mix.from the fridge use a scoop and divide the dough in equal proportion.
- Shape them into long croquettes it should look like a cylinder.you can use any flat surface to even it out on the top as well as from the sides .
- Add 2tbsp cornstarch 2-3 tbsp of water mix ,salt 1/8 tsp mix herb mix them well the batter should be so thick and not in runny texture it should coat the croquettes well when dipped
- Immediately coat the croquettes into the bread crumb evenly all around until all the sides were well coated with the crumbs.
- Heat 2 cups any cooking oil in a kadai/deep pan over medium flame gradually drop the croquettes in the hot oil don't overcowd just 3-4 at a time f keep fliping them ocassionaly or fry until golden brown from all the sides.
- Remove from oil and place them on paper /kitchen towel to remove excess oil from the croquettes.
- Serve them warm with ketchup/coriander chutney