Calabash,lauki, dudhi, white-flowered gourd, long melon or Bottel-gourd as we all know this versatile vegetable is full of water (90%) which keeps your body hydrated no need to write about the nutrition intact in this vegie because now we all know the health benefits of eating bottle gourd .in India we use to prepare a lot of different curries but my today’s recipe is a raita Raita is a side dish you can find it very often in any meal as an accompaniment this mildly spiced tangy recipe could enhance any dish can serve as a dip with Kabab and fries also. there is many variations of this recipe but here I am sharing my family recipe how my mother or grandmother use to prepare all the recipe I am posting on my blog is tried and tested by me since childhood.
Bottle gourd raita
- 1 small Bottle gourd
- 1 cup curd/yogurt
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds(rai) paste
- ½ tsp carom-nigella seeds
- ¼ tsp black salt
- salt as per taste
- 2-3 Green chillis
- 2 tsp Finely chopped fresh coriander
- Take a small tender bottle-gourd grate around 1 cup .here I have used half bottel- gourd
- In a pan Add the grated bottel-gourd add 1 cup water with ½tsp salt.
- Simmer and cook till the bottel-gourd became soft or cooked completely
- Strain the Bottle-gourd and collect the strained water and use it as a stock.
- Now in a bowl whisk curd with grounded mustard seeds with salt. squueze the extra water from the bottle-gourd then mix it in the curd .
- Now add finely chopped fresh coriander,green chilli and ¼tsp carom-nigella seeds.and some black salt
- Mix all the ingredients well and refrigerate for 2-3 hrs.before serving